Monday, April 28, 2014

Engaged or Not Engaged...? That is the question.

Is every single student on task at ALL times absolutely EVERY time we use devices in my classroom??? 
I wish I could say yes, but I don't think I'd be fooling anyone.  

     Reading the Freedom, Digital Distraction and Control article made me wish it was as easy as saying I really want to be in level 3.  My classroom on a typical technology day falls in level 2.  There are some activities (like tests and quizzes) that are administered through the iPads where I find students getting off task.  If Synchroneyes was downloaded on my iPads, I'd be in heaven as a teacher being able to see every single screen at once.  But we all know that we when walking around the room, your back gets turned to a student at some point and they have the open opportunity to switch applications and play on something else.  Now Guided Access helps this, but sometimes activities take multiple apps and this feature would not work.  So making sure every single student WANTS to be on the app you need them to be on becomes difficult.                There are always going to be students who are completely apathetic towards their education in general and refuse to do anything you give them even if it's a game (a.k.a. why no child left behind was great in theory but impossible in application).  So having in the back of my head that I want to be in level 3 is beneficial, but might not always happen.  Focusing on creating lessons where the majority of students are engaged is key.        
     Giving students the opportunity to explore a subject through technology is a wonderful tool, breaking up the activity with group conversations, video clips, etc... can help in continuously engaging students.  And this is what I strive to do with each digital lesson I create.

1 comment:

  1. A key point, Molly: "making sure every single student WANTS to be on the app you need them to be on." Further, understanding that sometimes the level will fluctuate is also helpful--and less stressful! : >

    ReplyDelete