Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Philosophy of Education

Through song, the philosophy I follow speaks “I believe that children are our future.  Teach them well and let them lead the way.  Show them all the beauty they possess inside.  Give them a sense of pride to make it easier.  Let the children’s laughter remind us how we used to be…”
I truly believe that each child I teach can bring a unique quality not just into the classroom, but in life.  The future police officers, lawyers, teachers, etc… are the children we are teaching today.  Students need to be enabled to learn both through guidance and independence.  My philosophy is to assist and not direct students through their educational experience.  Ideas are not concrete until their minds allow them to be and my goal is to support them to a real world application in any standard I teach. 
Believing in students is the number one philosophy I have in developing a successful student.  Not just teachers, but individual students need to embrace their differences and accept and respect others’ as well.  I provide a caring and safe environment for my students to express their differences.  To be successful in life, students must believe in themselves and love themselves for who they are.

Education is continually changing.  I know I have to adapt to these changes as they come.  Remembering the past, as a student, and learning more for the future, I am constantly trying to better myself as a teacher.  Students teach me new ideas each and every day. Connecting with children is a concept that cannot be learned.  It must be embedded in our desire to teach the youth of tomorrow. 
Technology is just one way that teachers have to adjust to new ideas in the world.  Simple things such as memorizing a spelling word, knowing a definition, etc... are almost going out the window.  Being able to look up simple concepts and apply that to more problem solving ideas through exploration in the classroom is the student centered model I want to follow for my classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful post, Molly! I especially appreciate that you acknowledge learning from your students--they remember that! If you have a few moments, check out this video some students made about our classes and the kinds of things they remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8XuVMIw9bQ (watch the sound as their recording levels were different) : >

    ReplyDelete